2003 World Championships Steering Group

(2003 Web-site Archive)



Minutes of meeting held at Astley & Tyldesley Miners' Welfare Club on Wednesday 9th April 2003.

Present : Brian Furness, Mike Hack, Phil Hagerty, Roy Heslop, Neil Howarth, Stuart Howarth, Tony Mann, Steve Mills, Fred Rothwell, Pete Ward.

Apologies : Steve Jarman, Len Priestley.

1. Minutes of Previous Meeting

Accepted.

2. Matters Arising

It was agreed that these would all be covered in Progress Reports.

3. Progress Reports

a) Sponsorship

SM - Displayed 10 advertising boards that had been produced. Stated that 900 had been raised from advertising revenue. Requested assistance in selling more boards. Reported that rejections had been received from McDonald's, Patak's, Co-op re sponsorship. He was awaiting a response from 6 other letters sent.

AM - Had made an approach to the Bury Times re special covers for the event.

RH - To make an approach to the Bolton Evening News, Leigh Journal, Leigh Reporter re special covers for the event. (MH to supply contact details for the BEN and LJ).

SM - Reported that Holts Breweries had declined to sponsor the event. Miners' Welfare Club are to approach Guinness re event sponsorship.

BF - Revealed that medals / dies are available for the Individual Final, but not for the Team event.

AM - Bury agreed to provide cups for the first three in the individual.

BF - Cycle Speedway Commission have agreed funding of transport for the Australians from Poole to Manchester to Heathrow Airport. Mark Janes of the Commission is to arrange the transport.

FR - Agreed to get quotes for the purchase of event pennants. NH to design pennants.

MH / NH - To meet to plan the joint compilation of the tournament programme.

MH - Agreed to arrange the purchase of awards for the Team Final. Awards to be made to the top three teams in the Final, plus a cup for the winning team.

FR - Reported that the Race Night had taken place, albeit with a disappointing attendance. Despite this, 136 had been raised as funds for the event (split evenly between the two clubs). A donation of 25 from Tameside CSC was received.

BF - Stated that Philip Ingham (BCF Press Officer) had advised not to have a Press Launch, due to limited success of such events for other disciplines previously. PI will set up a page on BC's website publicising the championships. Press Releases will be sent by the BCF to various press and cycling outlets. These will commence at the start of May, then the start of June, then fortnightly to the Championships. BF will liaise with PI. NH to supply the logo, MH to supply information.

b) Grant Aid

SH - Stated that Bury will allocate 2000 of their National Lottery grant to go towards subsidising accommodation for visiting nations.

c) Performing Rights

AM - Matter resolved - licence not needed.

d) Accommodation

BF - Has issued an information pack to all visiting nations. Allocations made as per previous meeting's decision.

e) Promotional Protocols

MH - Brian Cookson (BCF President) and Trevor Barton (Wigan Sports Council Chairman) have accepted invitations to be official guests at Astley & Tyldesley.

f) Merchandise

MH - Shaun Hudson has accepted offer of exclusive cycle sales rights at Astley.

g) Transport

PW - Stated that the impending licence change for vehicles larger than 7 seaters does not take effect until 2004.

BF - BCF will fund one van for use by the Australians for the Championships.

MH - Has made a reservation with Blackmoor Service Station, Astley for hire of a mini-bus.

h) Scheduling

BF - Reported that the Americans will not be competing in the Championships, and that there were doubts over the presence of the Dutch. World Team Cup likely to be one match consisting of six or seven teams. Discussion took place re the format of Saturday's events at Astley.

i) Television

FR - No deal with the production company for filming of the Bury event.

PH - Has spoken to Roy Nichol, Belle Vue Speedway, to cover the Astley meeting. He had expressed an interest, and will make a decision after making a visit to the track.

PH - Has gained permission to distribute promotional leaflets on Belle Vue Speedway Supporters Club coaches travelling to the British Grand Prix at Cardiff in June.

MH - Will arrange for an advert to go in the Belle Vue Speedway match programmes.

Next meeting

To be held at Astley & Tyldesley Miners' Welfare Club, on Monday 7th July 2003, 7.30 pm start.

 

Return to Home Page             Return to Archive 2003 Index